第一节 单选填空（共15 小题；每小题1分，满分15分）
例: It is generally considered unwise to give a child____he or she wants.
A.however B.whatever C.whichever D.whenever
21. — We could invite John and Barbara to the Friday night party.
— Yes, _______? I’ll give them a call right now.
A. why not B. What for C. why D. what
22. Try _______ she might, Sue couldn’t get the door open.
A. if B. when C. since D. as
23. Planning so far ahead _______no sense — so many things will have changed by next year.
A. made B. is making C. makes D. has made
24. I wasn’t sure if he was really interested or if he _______polite.
A. was just being B. will just be C. had just been D. would just be
25. — Someone wants you on the phone. — _______nobody knows I am here.
A. Although B. And C. But D. So
26. I can _______the house being untidy, but I hate it if it’s not clean.
A. come up with B. put up with C. turn to D. stick to
27. The next thing he saw was smoke _______from behind the house.
A. rose B. rising C. to rise D. risen
28. Only when he reached the tea-house _______it was the same place he’d been in last year.
A. he realized B. he did realize C. realized he D. did he realize
29. When Alice came to, she did not know how long she _______there.
A. had been lying B. has been lying C. was lying D. has lain
30. The form cannot be signed by anyone _______yourself.
A. rather than B. other than C. more than D. better than
31. The prize will go to the writer _______story shows the most imagination.
A. that B. which C. whose D. what
32. They _______have arrived at lunchtime but their flight was delayed.
A. will B. can C. must D. should
33. It is generally accepted that _______boy must learn to stand up and fight like _______man.
A. a; a B. a; the C. the; the D. a; 不填
34. William found it increasingly difficult to read, for his eyesight was beginning to _______.
A. disappear B. fall C. fail D. damage
35. — Artistic people can be very difficult sometimes.
— Well, you married one. _______.
A. You name it B. I’ve got it
C. I can’t agree more D. You should know
In our discussion with people on how education can help them succeed in life, a woman remembered the first meeting of an introductory __36__course about 20 years ago.
The professor __37__ the lecture hall, placed upon his desk a large jar filled with dried beans（豆）, and invited the students to __38__ how many beans the jar contained. After __39__ shouts of wildly wrong guesses the professor smiled a thin, dry smile, announced the __40__ answer, and went on saying, ”You have just __41__ an important lesson about science. That is: Never __42__ your own senses.”
Twenty years later, the __43__ could guess what the professor had in mind. He __44__ himself, perhaps, as inviting his students to start an exciting __45__ into an unknown world Invisible（无形的）to the __46__, which can be discovered only through scientific __47__. But the seventeen-year-old girl could not accept or even __48__ the invitation. She was just __49__ to understand the world. And she __50__ that her firsthand experience could be the __51__. The professor, however, said that it was __52__. He was taking away her only __53__ for knowing and was providing her with no substitute. “I remember feeling small and __54__,” the women says, “and I did the only thing I could do. I __55__ the course that afternoon, and I haven’t gone near science since.”
36. A. art B. history C. science D. math
37. A. searched for B. looked at C. got through D. marched into
38. A. count B. guess C. report D. watch
39. A. warning B. giving C. turning away D. listening to
40. A. ready B. possible C. correct D. difficult
41. A. learned B. prepared C. taught D. taken
42. A. lose B. trust C. sharpen D. show
43. A. lecturer B. scientist C. speaker D. woman
44. A. described B. respected C. saw D. served
45. A. voyage B. movement C. change D. rush
46. A. professor B. eye C. knowledge D. light
47. A. model B. senses C. spirit D. methods
48. A. hear B. make C. present D. refuse
49. A. suggesting B. beginning C. pretending D. waiting
50. A. believed B. doubted C. proved D. explained
51. A. growth B. strength C. faith D. truth
52. A. firm B. interesting C. wrong D. acceptable
53. A. task B. tool C. success D. connection
54. A. cruel B. proud C. frightened D. brave
55. A. dropped B. started C. passed D. missed