例: We_______last night, but we went to the concert instead.
A. must have studied B. might study
C. should have studied D. would study
21. — Have you finished reading Jane Eyre?
— No, I my homework all day yesterday.
A. was doing B. would do C. had done D. do
22. The workers the glasses and marked on each box “This Side UP”.
A. carried B. delivered C. pressed D. packed
23. I’ll spend half of my holiday practicing English and half learning drawing.
A. another B. the other C. other’s D. other
24. As a child, Jack studied in a village school, is named after his grandfather.
A. which B. where C. what D. that
25. Mary made coffee her guests were finishing their meal.
A. so that B. although C. while D. as if
26. I have seldom seen my mother pleased with my progress as she is now.
A. so B. very C. too D. rather
27. Mrs. White showed her students some old maps from the library.
A. to borrow B. to be borrowed C. borrowed D. borrowing
28. When you are home, give a call to let me know you safely.
A. are arriving B. have arrived C. had arrived D. will arrive
29. Just be patient. You expect the world to change so soon.
A. can’t B. needn’t C. may not D. will not
30. The little boy won’t go to sleep his mother tells him a story.
A. or B. unless C. but D. whether
31. — Everybody is going to climb the mountain. Can I go too, mum?
— Wait till you are old enough, dear.
A. will you? B. Why not? C. I hope so. D. I’m afraid not.
32. The discovery of gold in Australia led thousands to believe that a fortune .
A. is made B. would make C. was to be made D. had made
33. We haven’t discussed yet we are going to place our new furniture.
A. that B. which C. what D. where
34. With Father’s Day around the corner, I have taken some money out of the bank
presents for my dad.
A. buy B. to buy C. buying D. to have bought
35. — Was he sorry for what he’d done? — .
A. No wonder B. Well done C. Not really D. Go ahead
It was a busy morning, about 8:30, when an elderly gentleman in his 80s came to the hospital. I heard him saying to the nurse that he was in a hurry for a appointment（约会）at 9:30.
The nurse had him take a 36 in the waiting area, 37 him it would be at least 40 minutes 38 someone would be able to see him. I saw him 39 his watch and decided, since I was 40 busy — my patient didn’t 41 at the appointed hour, I would examine his wound. While taking care of his wound, I asked him if he had another doctor’s appointment.
The gentleman said no and told me that he 42 to go to the nursing home to eat breakfast with his 43 . He told me that she had been 44 for a while and that she had a special disease. I asked if she would be 45 if he was a bit late. He replied that she 46 knew who he was, that she had not been able to 47 him for five years now. I was 48 , and asked him, “And you 49 go every morning, even though she doesn’t know who you are?”
He smiled and said, “She doesn’t know me, but I know who she is.” I had to hold back 50 as he left.
Now I 51 that in marriages, true love is 52 of all that is. The happiest people don’t 53 have the best of everything; they just 54 the best of everything they have. 55 isn’t about how to live through the storm, but how to dance in the rain.
|36. A. breath||B. test||C. seat||D. break|
|37. A. persuading||B. promising||C. understanding||D. telling|
|38. A. if||B. before||C. since||D. after|
|39. A. taking off||B. fixing||C. looking at||D. winding|
|40. A. very||B. also||C. seldom||D. not|
|41. A. turn up||B. show off||C. come on||D. go away|
|42. A. needed||B. forgot||C. agreed||D. happened|
|43. A. daughter||B. wife||C. mother||D. sister|
|44. A. late||B. well||C. around||D. there|
|45. A. lonely||B. worried||C. doubtful||D. hungry|
|46. A. so far||B. neither||C. no longer||D. already|
|47. A. recognize||B. answer||C. believe||D. expect|
|48. A. moved||B. disappointed||C. surprised||D. satisfied|
|49. A. only||B. then||C. thus||D. still|
|50. A. curiosity||B. tears||C. words||D. judgment|
|51. A. realize||B. suggest||C. hope||D. prove|
|52. A. agreement||B. expression||C. acceptance||D. exhibition|
|53. A. necessarily||B. completely||C. naturally||D. frequently|
|54. A. learn||B. make||C. favor||D. try|
|55. A. Adventure||B. Beauty||C. Trust||D. Life.|